Run to Greece with Our Chicken and Feta Tabbouleh
Today, I'm excited to share a dish that truly embodies this fusion: Greek Chicken with Feta-Parsley Tabouleh.
Drawing inspiration from the sunny shores of Greece, this dish champions lean protein (very important for us runners!), fresh ingredients, and the delightful play between textures and flavours. It's as ideal for a family dinner as it is for a post-run recovery meal.
The Greek Chicken, marinated in a classic mix of lemon, garlic, and oregano, is a nod to the vibrant, sun-kissed flavours of the Mediterranean. The chicken is marinated for at least an hour, allowing the flavours to penetrate deeply and tenderise the meat. Grilling the chicken not only imparts a delicious smoky note but also keeps it lean and healthy, making it a perfect source of protein for everyone, especially runners.
Complementing the chicken is the Feta-Parsley Tabouleh, an enticing concoction that offers a burst of freshness with every bite. The star of this dish is, of course, bulgur wheat—a whole grain that's a staple in traditional tabouleh and a fantastic source of fibre and complex carbohydrates. Cooked in chicken stock, it gains an extra layer of flavour that makes it irresistible.
The bulgur is then tossed with an abundance of finely chopped parsley, a herb that's not just there for colour—it's packed with vitamins and antioxidants that are great for overall health. Quartered cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, and finely diced red onion add a crunchy texture and a refreshing taste, perfectly offsetting the soft, nutty bulgur.
The final touch to the tabouleh comes from crumbled feta cheese, lending a creamy, tangy contrast that pairs wonderfully with the rest of the ingredients. The cheese also contributes a healthy amount of calcium and protein, making the dish even more balanced for those who need that extra boost for their workouts.
Dressing the tabouleh is a simple mix of lemon juice and olive oil—no fancy vinaigrettes here. This is a classic Mediterranean choice that brings out the flavours of the vegetables and bulgur, making the dish light yet satisfying.
When you combine the grilled Greek chicken and the Feta-Parsley Tabouleh, you get a meal that's so refreshing and satisfying, you might find yourself making it a regular part of your dinner rotation. It's a dish that shows how effortlessly good food and good health can go hand in hand.
So, give this Greek Chicken with Feta-Parsley Tabouleh a try and let your taste buds embark on a culinary journey to Greece, while your body reaps the nutritional benefits. Keep moving, keep eating well, and stay tuned for more recipes that blend culinary indulgence with fitness-friendly fare!
Happy running and happy eating!
Greek Chicken with Feta-Parsley Tabouleh Recipe
For the Greek Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Feta-Parsley Tabouleh:
- 200g bulgur wheat
- 500ml water or chicken stock
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 large bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. To marinate the chicken, combine the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Add the chicken breasts and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.
2. While the chicken is marinating, prepare the Feta-Parsley Tabouleh. In a medium saucepan, bring the water or chicken stock to a boil. Add the bulgur wheat, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the bulgur is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
3. Transfer the cooked bulgur to a large bowl and let it cool. Once cooled, add the crumbled feta, chopped parsley, quartered tomatoes, diced cucumber, diced red onion, lemon juice, and olive oil. Toss to combine, and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. Preheat your grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the marinated chicken breasts for 6-7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 74°C.
5. To serve, slice the grilled Greek chicken and place it on top of the Feta-Parsley Tabouleh. Enjoy!
For more recipes, the Ultimate Cookbook for Runners is out now on Amazon!